Ambien is a sleep-inducing medication which contains Zolpidem as the active ingredient. There are two forms available in this dug such as immediate release and extended release. The biological half-life of Ambien would be two to three hours. It would start to work within fifteen minutes after it is taken. This is a prescription only medication.
When Ambien is taken it would relax a person and would enable them to sleep. The immediate release tablets would only help you to achieve sleep. If you are a person who is finding it difficult to get as well as maintain a perfect sleep can take extended-release capsules. As soon as the capsule is taken, the outer layer gets absorbed in the beginning and causes you to sleep. Only after a certain period, the second layer gets dissolved in the body which is the reason why an individual is able to maintain the sleep for a longer period.
What are the dosage strengths of the medication?
Ambien pills are available in two different dosage strengths like 5mg and 10mg. People can take 5mg if they are in need of a lower dose whereas an individual can take a 10mg dose if the sleeping issue is severe.
But, if you are a woman then you have to take only the lower dosage strength. The metabolism rate of women is much slower and that is the reason behind this.
How to take Ambien?
A single pill can be taken before you are going to bed. Take it with a glass of water. It is a must that you have to lie on the bed after the pill is taken. Never break the capsules in any way if you are taking ER medication. Damaging it would only cause the working mechanism of Ambien to collapse and would cause the issue to your health.
Missing a dose
Missing a dose is not possible as you would be taking the medication only when it is needed.
Overdosing the drug is very hazardous. It only makes you feel excessive sleepiness in the body but would also make you experience severe effects. So, it is required for you to get medical advice as soon as possible.
Precaution to be taken during the treatment
- This is a highly addictive pill hence it is a must that you should take only for a shorter period of time.
- There are chances that an individual would feel drowsy or sleepy in the morning too. So, it is a must that you should avoid driving or doing any activity that requires alertness.
- Ambien pill has to be taken only if you would be able to sleep for a period of seven to eight hours. So, if you are traveling or not sure that you can allow this time frame for the sleep then avoid taking the tablet.
- If you ever had allergic reactions while taking Zolpidem or other medications that belong to the drug group then inform about this to your healthcare professional.
- Notify your medico about the health issues that you are currently facing from.
- It might not be suitable for people with the history of drug or substance addiction.
- Pregnant or breastfeeding women should not take this sleep-inducing medication as it would affect the baby or fetus.
Few ill effects that a person would suffer from while taking Ambien are mentioned below.
Common side effects:
- Dry mouth
- Loss of coordination
- Stomach upset
- A headache
- Muscle pain
Severe ill effects:
- Irregular heartbeat
- Chest pain
- Shortness of breath
- Difficulty in breathing
- Unable to swallow
- Feeling that you would pass out
If these effects are present in your body for a longer period then get medical help immediately.
When Ambien is taken with other drugs then there are chances for a person to suffer from interactions. When this occurs, it would only worsen the ailment to the core. Some of the drugs that are not suitable to be taken with this sleep-inducing medication are antidepressants, other narcotic pills, and muscle relaxers.
Your doctor would either tell you to stop taking those medications or change the time that the drugs are taken.
Store the medication at a room temperature, as excessive heat, light, and moisture are not suitable for it. Never share your pills with others as it is very addictive. It is also your duty to keep the tablets very safe out of reach of other people, kids, and pets.
It is also very essential that you have to dispose of the medication that has crossed the expiry date in the right way. Follow the instructions that are mentioned on the label. The expired tablets should not be accessible by others.